How to create your own program on Northwestel Community TV
Thanks for your interest in northern community television. Our aim is to provide programming that reflects the communities in which we live – and we invite you to join the fun! We welcome any or all of the following type of programming submissions from the northern public.
Before you begin its best to familiarize yourself with the Northwestel Community TV channels and our policies. If you’re not keen to work within the framework of who we are and what we do, then it’s best to know that at the beginning.
Community TV offers many opportunities to the public, but it is not a realm that works for all film/video producers.
The Northwestel Community TV Mandate, Operating Policies, and Guidelines for Submission of Program Proposals are available by clicking here.
Step 1 – Here’s what we’re looking for:
Northwestel Community TV is focused on the Yukon and Northwest Territories and its people, issues, arts and entertainment. Programming should reflect local viewpoints, activities and/or diverse voices that are not being heard. Within that framework, unlimited possibilities exist to create the kind of show that you want to make.
We’re looking for people who want to actively work as producers in creating programs or videos. You can have plenty of experience, none, or anything in between. The main quality we want is passion and drive to work on the successful creation of a show which can include:
- Shooting schedule
- Finding Talent and Volunteers
You can even take it a step further and handle all production and post-production on your own using our gear and deliver us a completed, final show.
And when we use the term “show”, it could also simply be coverage of a local event or performance. We can help and support in any or all of this, but the main idea is …… it’s your show, and you have to be willing to work to make it happen.
Step 2 – Here’s what Northwestel Community TV can do to help:
First we will read your proposal and give you feedback to determine to what extent we could support the development of the program(s). Following that, we can support the development of your program / video in some or all of the following ways:
- We can work with you to develop the idea and shoot a pilot episode of the program, or in the case of a local event, the coverage you have in mind. Every project is unique and our involvement will vary depending on the level of experience you have and the type of support you require to create your program. We will be able to …
- Mentor you through the pre-planning phase of the show’s development.
- Concept development – Outlines /scripts / production planning
- Assist in the actual filming and production of the show.
- Northwestel Community TV production gear (cameras, microphones,
lights) may be available for you to use free of charge. Our staff can also assist with the actual production.
- Assist in the editing and post-production of the show
- Editing facilities and mentoring may be available for you to use free of charge depending on your experience and skill level.
Our staff will also take care of all editing / post-production of your show.
- Program and promote the show on Northwestel Community TV and our online locations. We’ll do our best to make sure your show gets seen.
- Northwestel Community TV may be able to provide monetary compensation to help you with the creation of your program such as hard-costs and producer / talent / skilled-worker compensation. Direct $$ compensation is not available to all people wishing to create programming and will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on the proposal you create and follow-up conversations.
Step 3 – Submit a Proposal
We don’t require any specific format, but in general we’re looking for details of the following:
- Your motivation. Why do you want to make this show and what is driving you to do it? This will help tailor the outcome of the show to meet your goals.
- Program Description:
- Format / style / length of the show. Reference existing shows that you know of that are similar in style to what you’re trying to achieve.
- Content / Subject matter – Who will be in it? Projected guest names, interview topics and specific community events to be covered. The more detail you can share, the better.
- Will there be sponsors and what will be the sponsorship recognition you will have in the show?
- What roles will you do in the creation of the show?
- Writing / directing / pre-production planning / production / editing / on-screen talent
- What roles would you like Northwestel Community TV to do in the creation of the show?
- Production / gear / post-production and editing
- Outline any experience you have in film/video production. Include any demo reels, or links to online video content and describe your role in the creation of such items.
- Complete contact information – name, address, phone, email etc.
Don’t worry if you don’t have all of this figured out, we’re here to help. If you have any questions or have a proposal to submit, please contact:
Chris McNutt, Manager – Northwestel Community TV
867.393.7669 / firstname.lastname@example.org